MOD skills are a unique type of Skill Record, which have been introduced for the game's 3rd anniversary on 30th of November 2020.
These skill records debuted in the MOD Step-Up Order. Currently, MOD skills have only been released for the seven weapon types and does not include Shield and Ability.
- 1 Skill Mechanics
- 2 Inserting [Bonus] effects to MOD Skill Records
- 3 Managing Skill Slots
- 4 Videos
- 5 Skill records containing attachable MOD skills
- 6 Notes
MOD skill records function similarly to standard skill records but have the unique capability to include effects of other skill records specifically, effects described as [Bonus]. These bonuses are indicated in blue on the skill record description. MOD skill records can also have [Bonus] effects.
[Bonus] effects are also shown with number of arrow shapes next to its description, which determine the number of slots (maximum of 3) needed to insert the [Bonus] into a MOD skill record. Once inserted into a MOD skill record, the skill record that originally held the [Bonus] effect cannot be used, unless the [Bonus] is released from the MOD skill record using a MOD Remover item. Unlike Burst or Rush skill records, MOD skill records can be fully utilized by the Partner and Assist Characters due to [Bonus] effects being inherent to the skill record and not requiring manual activation.
Each MOD skill record will initially have the first slot unlocked while the other two slots will require special materials to unlock.
Inserting [Bonus] effects to MOD Skill Records
Inserting a [Bonus] effect from another skill record require several conditions which need to be met:
- The [Bonus] effect must be indicated with a blue colored font on the skill record description;
- The skill record containing the [Bonus] must not be equipped by the player, partner or any Assist Character;
- The MOD skill record must have enough unlocked slots for the [Bonus];
- Only skill records belonging to the same category/weapon as the MOD skill record can be used in the process
- i.e. only [Bonus] effect from a 1H Sword skill record can be attached into the slot of a 1H Sword MOD skill record
The amount of slots needed by a [Bonus] effect is equal to the amount of blue arrows next to the skill description.
Note: If several [Bonus] effects are indicated in blue while only one set of arrows is visible (see image), it means that all of these bonuses are being transferred at the given cost.
Managing Skill Slots
Unlocking additional slots
After obtaining a MOD skill record, it comes with one unlocked MOD Slot for an attachable [Bonus] effect. There are two more slots, which can be unlocked with special items called "Unlock MOD II" and "Unlock MOD III [weapon type]". The materials for the unlock items will be rarer the higher number of slot to be unlocked.
|Type||Slot||Unlock item||Required materials||How to obtain Unlock MOD piece|
|All||2nd||Unlock MOD II SS||100x Unlock MOD piece II SS
|From monsters in the Labyrinths of every floor|
|1H Sword||3rd||Unlock MOD III (1H Sword)||50x Unlock MOD piece III 1H Sword
|From rare monsters* in the Labyrinths of Floor 25+|
|1H Rapier||Unlock MOD III (1H Rapier)||50x Unlock MOD piece III 1H Rapier
|1H Club||Unlock MOD III (1H Club)||50x Unlock MOD piece III 1H Club
|1H Dagger||Unlock MOD III (1H Dagger)||50x Unlock MOD piece III 1H Dagger
|2H Axe||Unlock MOD III (2H Axe)||50x Unlock MOD piece III 2H_Axe
|2H Spear||Unlock MOD III (2H Spear)||50x Unlock MOD piece III 2H_Spear
|Bow||Unlock MOD III (Bow)||50x Unlock MOD piece III Bow
* Physically larger variants of monsters
Unlocking the 2nd MOD Slot
Items necessary to unlock the second MOD Slot can be produced by using their pieces obtained from monsters in the Labyrinths on every floor.
|Materials required to produce Unlock MOD II SS:
Unlocking the 3rd MOD Slot
Items necessary to unlock the third MOD Slot can be produced by using their pieces obtained from rare monsters (larger versions of the regular monsters, which usually protect the red barricades) in the Labyrinths of Floor 25 and above.
|Materials required to produce Unlock MOD III [target weapon type]:
Removing attached skills
Skills which were attached before can be released from slots with the items called MOD Remover. Such item removes all skills belonging to one attached skill record, emptying all MOD Slots which were required by the said skills. Released skill record can be used independently or attached again to a MOD skill record.
MOD Removers can be obtained from Login Bonuses or randomly when selecting "Collect Items" when interacting with Assist Characters.
|Removes the skill record (along with the [Bonus]) attached to the MOD Slots,
allowing it to be available for use.
- SAO Integral Factor (SAO IF): 7 Things You Need to Know About Mod Skill by Ogrelink
- [SAOIF] All You Need to Know About Mod Skill | Mod Skill Guide by MikuChibi
- SAOIF : MOD PIECE III | Mod Skill Guide by Superstar xyz
These skill records can be upgraded by infusing them with Bonus skills from other skill records.
Skill records containing attachable MOD skills
List of such skill records can be found in the Skill Records with attachable MOD skills category. This list is being constantly updated.
- If the same [Bonus] is present in a Burst skill record - both in its regular and Burst description - the one from the Burst version will be used in the MOD Slot.
- For the skill records requiring a certain number of character skill records for certain effects (e.g. If 2 or more Kirito skill records are present, Attack +1000), characters present on the skill records attached to the MOD Slots will not be taken into account.
- At the release of MOD skills, only Shield and Ability categories didn't receive their own MOD skill records.